The location of the village of Lypertö, at the mouth of an important shipping channel, has directed the development of the maritime industry and sometimes also brought the terror of war very close. When Finland belonged to the Kingdom of Sweden, Lypertö was one of the designated military harbours of the Swedish Archipelago Fleet. An especially noteworthy concentration of military power in Lypertö took place in the summer of 1808. At that time, also King Gustavus IV Adolphus stayed quite long at Lypertö abroad the ship “Amadis”, leading his war government from that location.
Towards the end of the 19th Century, the sailing ships of Lypertö were well known; they have been aptly described in literature by the author Volter Kilpi, especially in his novel “Alastalon salissa” (“The Hall of Alastalo Manor”). Alastalo is a close neighbour to Sarvilinna.